Brad and Dan begin by discussing last night’s J6 hearing, focusing on the 187 minutes between when violence erupted at the Capitol and when Trump finally released a video telling his followers to go home. They focus on the callousness of the Commander in Chief watching Fox News for three hours while the Capitol was attacked, police were killed, and the peaceful transfer of power was disrupted.
Dan takes us through a leaked memo from AG Merrick Garland that states there won’t be indictments before the midterms. Does this mean Trump will never be indicted? Is Garland too much of an institutionalist to pursue justice in this case?
Brad then takes us on a tour through extremist Christian nationalist policies from around the country with a focus on Maryland and Idaho. Some highlights: The John Birch Society, God granting the right to handheld killing machines, no exceptions for abortion when a woman’s life is in danger, repealing the 16th amendment, and codifying originalism as an interpretive strategy.
- Sign up for the SWAJ seminar: straightwhiteamericanjesus.com/seminars
- Pre-Order Brad’s new book, Preparing for War: The Extremist History of White Christian Nationalism and What Comes Next: https://www.amazon.com/Preparing-War-Extremist-Christian-Nationalism/dp/1506482163
- To Donate: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/BradleyOnishi
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/straightwhiteamericanjesus
- SWAJ Apparel is here! https://straight-white-american-jesus.creator-spring.com/listing/not-today-uncle-ron
- For access to the full Orange Wave series, click here: https://irreverent.supportingcast.fm/products/the-orange-wave-a-history-of-the-religious-right-since-1960
- For an ad-free experience and to support SWAJ: https://irreverent.supportingcast.fm/straight-white-american-jesus-premium
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
Support our show by becoming a premium member! https://swaj.supportingcast.fm